-The company benefits from holding the mindfulness program by having a-
“More mindful individual that will be able to be more focused at work, more productive and generate a more cooperative environment. A win-win situation for all.”
~Introduction to Mindfulness course participant
- What would be possible if you could access clarity and calm in high-stress, high-stakes situations?
-Would you be more effective?
- What would be possible if you understood your own emotional triggers and physiological reactions?
-Would you be more resilient?
- What would be possible if you improved your listening, communication and empathy skills?
-Would you enjoy better relationships?
The WorkLife Integration Program (WIP) at the UCSD Center for Mindfulness is responding in an innovative and dynamic way to the rising concerns about the negative impact of stress on workplace productivity and employee health. Studies show that approximately 75% of all illness is related to stress and 83% percent of employees report that work is a significant source of stress. Add to this fact that the World Health Organization has estimated that stress has cost American companies more than $300 billion each year, and it is clear that we are facing an serious workplace problem.
Contrast these dismal statistics to those from companies with effective employee wellness programs. Recent research shows that companies with the most effective health and productivity programs achieved 11% more revenue per employee, delivered 28% higher shareholder returns and had lower medical trends and fewer absences per employee. And companies that invest more than average in employee training outperform the market by 45% and have returns that are 86% higher than those companies that spend less than average.
Our WorkLife Integration Programs address the stress and pressures that work and life have on our minds and bodies, our work performance and our personal lives. Our programs teach a variety of stress reduction methods, educate employees about the important role they play in their own health and well being, and assist employees in creating their own individualized mindfulness practice.
The tools we offer will help workers develop a healthier relationship with stress, one that allows them to control their response to stress and not be reactionary. We intend to be a catalyst in reducing the burgeoning negative workplace stress statistics and to be an influence in creating a better workplace culture through mindful awareness and practice.
Mindfulness practice as a normal part of daily business and personal life can inspire:
- Decrease in stress and stress related illness - improved quality of life
- Increase in focus and awareness - more productivity and creativity
- Increase in compassion for self and others - improved relationships
- Shift in perception - better decision making, more positive outlook
- Increased emotional intelligence- overall improved effectiveness and happiness
- Defining mindfulness and exploring the benefits
- Learning about the effects of stress on the mind and body
- Experiential components include: seated and walking meditations, mindful eating, mindful movement, mindful communication
- Didactic themes include: shifting perceptions, responding vs. reacting, awareness vs. auto pilot, the distracted brain, cultivating a non-judgmental attitude
- Discussing the applications of mindfulness in personal and business relationships
- Exploring the latest workplace, neuroscientific and clinical rnindfulness research
- Learning how to create and sustain your own practice
Any of the following can be customized to meet your company’s specific needs:
- Introduction to Mindfulness: 8-10 week program introducing various mindfulness practices and integration into the workplace.
- Mindful Working Workshops: multi-day, single or half-day introduction to mindful work and life practices
- Mindful Based Stress Reduction (MBSR): the most scientifically supported program, 8 weeks of weekly 2 ½ hour classes
- Mindful Performance, Awareness & Knowledge (mPEAK): a mental-emotional brain- training program, offered as either an 8-week program or a 2-Day intensive
- Lunch & Learn presentations: introducing the benefits and evidentiary foundation for mindfulness practice in the workplace
- Mindfulness Consultation: for the development and implementation of strategies for the integration of mindfulness practices into overall corporate operations and culture
Christy Cassisa, JD
Director of WorkLife Integration
UCSD Center for Mindfulness