Flexible bronchoscopy is a common procedure used to determine the causes of abnormal chest x-rays and chest CAT scans. Bronchoscopy is combined with topical and intravenous anesthesia. With bronchoscopy, the physician can perform different kinds of biopsies, including lung biopsy and lymph node biopsy. Fluid can also be placed into the lung, then suctioned out to determine if infection exists. Bronchoscopy is also helpful in the diagnosis of lung cancer or cancers that metastasize to the lung. If patients have narrowing of their trachea or bronchi, bronchoscopy can be helpful to diagnose the cause, as well as determine what treatments would be needed.
Why is it used?
- Bronchoscopy increases the reach of the physician to provide a diagnosis in patients with lung disease
- It is a minimal invasive procedure routinely done by pulmonary physicians
- Infections, cancers, inflammatory conditions, sarcoidosis, and lymphoma can all be diagnosed by bronchoscopy
What Makes Flexible Bronchoscopy Different?
- Uses state-of- the-art video technology, providing the physician with a crystal clear picture of the patient's airways
- This technology improves the ability to diagnose and treat airway disease and lung disease
Benefits of Flexible Bronchoscopy
- Flexible bronchoscopy is a procedure that uses sedation and offers the ability to obtain a diagnosis of lung disease and potential treatment via the bronchoscope
- This may reduce further unnecessary procedures and surgery
Learn More About Flexible Bronchoscopy
At UC San Diego Medical Center’s Interventional Pulmonology Unit, the following interventional pulmonologists specialize in performing flexible bronchoscopy:
All referrals will still have the option of continuing their treatment with their primary care physicians after the flexible bronchoscopy.
For an appointment, for more information, or to find out how to refer a patient, please contact the Interventional Pulmonology Unit, 619-543-5840.
UC San Diego Medical Center, 3rd Floor, South Wing
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 619-543-5840