Registered dietitians provide a wide variety of nutrition services to inpatients and outpatients. As part of Food and Nutrition Services, dietitians review menus and recipes used throughout the medical centers, adapt recipes for specific dietary needs, and develop meal plans for specific age groups and conditions.
A registered dietitian (RD) is a food and nutrition expert who has met rigorous academic and professional requirements.
Services for Hospital Inpatients
- Provide consultations regarding specialized nutritional needs
- Explain special diets to patients and their families
- Monitor meals to ensure proper nutrition for a patient’s age and condition
- Follow up with patients after their release for ongoing advice and support
Outpatient Nutrition Counseling
Dietitians can provide one-on-one nutrition counseling and meal planning for patients who have been referred by their physicians for the following conditions or special needs:
To make an appointment for nutrition counseling, call 619-471-0420.
Services at Moores Cancer Center
Moores Cancer Center also offers nutrition services, including:
- Consultations with a clinical dietitian: Available for patients undergoing treatment and experiencing dietary challenges including loss of appetite, nausea, difficulty swallowing, constipation, fatigue, and significant weight loss. There is a fee for consultation, but many insurance plans reimburse for the service. To schedule an appointment, obtain a referral from your oncologist and then call 858-822-6100.
- Healthy Eating Program: Provides instruction in healthy food preparation, as well as personalized consultation services.
Learn more about our 43-week internship program and how to apply.